Gender Equity in hiring practices
A recent job posting on the website (February 2012) states: SADC is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from female candidates
Gender in Organization’s Structure
SADC’s Protocol on Tribunal and the Rules of Procedure Thereof mention gender:
ARTICLE 4 NOMINATION, SELECTION AND APPOINTMENT OF MEMBERS
- Each State may nominate one candidate having the qualifications prescribed in Article 3 of this Protocol.
- Due consideration shall be given to fair gender representation in the nomination and appointment process.
SADC’s Protocol on Tourism outlines gender:
ARTICLE 3: PRINCIPLES
- Promote a culture of human rights, gender sensitivity and be responsive to the requirements and involvement of people with disability.
- Gender is also mentioned in the Infrastructure and services key functions of the Directorate and affiliated bodies:
- Promotion of capacity building and training programmes to enhance regional integration;
- Promotion of stakeholder participation through, among other things, gender mainstreaming and increased private sector investment and input as well as ease of implementation
Article 15 of the Final Communiqué of the 28th Summit of SADC Heads of State and Government outlines gender (2008):
- Agreement Amending the Treaty;
- Protocol on Gender and Development;
- Protocol on Science, Technology and Innovation;
- Agreement Amending Article 20 of the Protocol on Trade;
- Agreement Amending Article 6 of the Protocol on the Tribunal
Gender Events at SADC
SADC held a gender workshop entitled: ODL Gender Mainstreaming Trainers Workshop from November 14, 2011 to November 18, 2011
A 2011 Meeting of SADC Ministers Responsible for Gender/Women’s Affairs was held in Windhoek, Namibia on the 2nd June, 2011.
In 2012, SADC highlighted the 16 days of activism to end GBV:
SADC has a Gender and Development Protocol:
SADC’s protocol on energy mentions gender:
The protocol on education and training also mentions gender:
Gender is outlined in the Declaration and treaty of SADC
The organization has a gender unit, and the newsletters for this organization can be found here:
Detailed activities of the gender unit can be viewed here:
There is no information on the SADC website on Gender-Sensitive hiring or Gender disaggregated data of staff/organization breakdown